Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Alert
The CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new)coronavirus that was first detected in China and which has now been detected in almost 70 locations internationally, including in the United States. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
The CDC calls this an “emerging, rapidly evolving situation,” and local governments need to be aware of the situation as it develops.
Here are resources to provide guidance on preventing the spread of the virus, appropriate occupational health measures, and recommended national and international protocols.
One of the resources is a model policy for your review and use (after consulting an attorney) to address the coronavirus and other possible outbreaks in the future.
Law Enforcement and Correctional Personnel Resources:
Bliss McKnight recognizes that this pandemic presents unique challenges for county law enforcement. Our focus is the safety and well-being of the brave law enforcement and correctional staff who provides services that defy isolation and require their daily exposure to this pandemic.
We have specific COVID -19 resources to aid law enforcement and correctional staff during these difficult times.
Bureau of Prisons:
- Implementing Modified Operations
American Correctional Association:
International Association of Chiefs of Police, IACP
- COVID-19 Information for Law Enforcement: General Fact Sheet (PDF)
- COVID-19: Staying Healthy as a Police Officer (PDF)
- Considerations for Preparing Your Agency for COVID-19 (PDF)
- More COVID-19 resources for Law Enforcement
Employment Model Policy: Disease/Epidemic Control
To access the model policy, your organization must be registered onto PracticalHRResources.
The model policy is available ONLY to insureds with Bliss McKnight. You will need to log into the site to access the model policy. If you are an insured and are unable to login to the site, click here for assistance.
Coronavirus COVID-19 Resources:
- Coronavirus: What Employers Need to Know for Travel, Sick Leave, and Risk Exposures (McCalmon article)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- World Health Organization (WHO) Q and A on Coronavirus
- Ready.gov's Guide on Preparing for a Pandemic
- Using Autodialers for COVID-19
Related Public Service Announcements